Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Review: Tacamo/Rap4 Type 68 AK47

Period of Product Use: 1 week



Strengths: Out of the box It is a highly attractive and intimidating marker. Also made to work out of the box as a plug and play with no complicated tuning.

Weaknesses: Lack of Upgrades,


These Markers are known under many names and suppliers (FX, Tacamo, Rap4, and a few others I believe). However all are manufactured on the same line in china that is a registered weapons factory. This line also assembles Real Type 56 assault rifles (Ak47 knockoffs). For this reason they are able to use real production parts for the cosmetics of this marker. It even came with an authentic service sling.

Video:



Pictures:


Photobucket
LOOKS & COSMETICS
Photobucket
Photobucket

No one can argue that this marker is sweet sweet eye candy. On bringing it on an Xball field I was getting envious looks and complements from everyone who saw it. It simply cant be said that this marker does not look cherry out of the box boasting a real wood stock (if you got the version with a wooden stock) and real wood handgaurd. The magazine could also be removed and used for storage of small items like cleaning kits or squeegee’s.

+1


You can get a number of versions (Krinkov compact style, Full AK, And RPK are the most common). I got the Smallest in the line, the Krinkov. It came with a folding metal stock and shorter magazine. The magazine I assume is a real ak mag without the guts. The body is even crafted specifically to look like an ak, unlike tippmann variants that have been converted to AKs but still sport a tippmann shaped body.

+1

2/2


FEATURES / SPECIAL ATTRIBUTES

The internals of this marker is a Spyder clone (stack tubed blowback) as many people know. The detent is the older rubber nipple style rather than the ball bearing. Velocity is adjusted via an RVA you can access on removing the stock.
Unfortunately, there seems to be a quality control issue, as out of the box my handgrip was wobbly, and the front sight was badly dented inward (it is solid steel so it must have taken a tremendous blow). After disassembling the barrel kit and tightening it as best I could I could not 100% eliminate the wiggle of the handgaurd. On further inspection I found a warped steel bracket was the cause. Because it was steel I could not easily correct it.
The condition I got mine in made me raise an eyebrow as to if it was already used for training purposes and sold surplus. A quick look at the bolt and interior of the body showed no normal wear from firing.
-1


Aside from looking gorgeous this marker is remarkably unremarkable as far as special features go, it is as standard in operation as any spyder clone. The safety selector switch could be used as a physical safety stopping the bolt from moving forward. The stock could be removed and swapped for either a wooden or metal one. The stock was secured by two metal stripper pins. Unfortunately for me they sent mine with 1 stripper pin not long enough to clear the body on the other side leaving me with only 1 pin to hold the stock on.


-1

0/2


SHOOTING AND RELATED

The Version I selected with the metal stock was low profile enough so that I could use the iron sight with my mask on. This was very cool for lining up longer range precision shots and gave me allot of nostalgia to COD4 (I’m sure most of you know what I’m talking about even if you are too afraid to admit it :p ). The trigger pull is short (for a spyder) and feels authentic. It is easy to tell when you are about to trip the sear for a proper rifle style trigger pull.
+1



The barrel itself was actually very descent for accuracy as far as stock barrels go. The Thread on tip was compatible with rap4 muzzle breaks. Also the stock barrel is LOUD. I personally think this is awesome. I didn’t buy a marker modeled after an AK47 to make little hush puppy whispers. This marker makes a distinguishable report from other markers on the field.
When I tested this marker I was on a reball field. I used it for about 5 rounds and never experienced one marker jam. A jam with a reball more or less amounts to a chop with a paintball, so I assume it is far from prone to chopping paint.

+1


2/2


AIR AND OTHER

The stock asa is Big, heavy, ugly, but does its job. I would recommend upgrading to one with an On/off but if you are on a budget it works. It had fair consistency for a blowback and I could get it operating as low as 500 psi with a regulator. I had my tank filled in the 1500 psi area and was able to play 2-3 games before getting it filled again.
+1


The ball stopper at the other end of the feedneck was made of such low grade rubber it could be scratched with my fingernails. It felt like it was made of the same material as erasers.


-1



1/2

DURABILITY AND MANTINENCE

Aside from the ball stopper this marker is TOUGH. It feels like a real fire arm and the internals are protected by a thick metal body. You could run this marker over with a bus and I doubt it would break any of the internal components or warp the body. You can tell this gun was built to last. I believe it was originally fabricated for training purposes in the Chinese military. Most of the outer parts are real fire arm parts, and I don’t think I need to debate the proven durability of AK style weapons.

+1

This was designed to be a low maintenance marker. The most important part of upkeep is keeping it oiled as it is a spyder inside. Take care of it and it should take care of you. I have heard the Stock Orings and seals are not Mach grade but I have not had one single problem with leaks or blown orings yet.
The only component you will have to replace on a regular bases is probably the Detent once or twice a year depending how much you use it. As long as you oil the Orings before it goes into storage I can’t see leaking being an issue under normal circumstances.

+1


2/2

Conclusion:
This is a mean little rifle. AS far as looks go you cant beat it for the Ak look in the .68 cal department. As a marker it should stand up to the challenge of being a recreational or scenario players old reliable.
They are intimidating and solid. I’ve seen the price comes down as low as 200 CDN on these things so they are affordable, and are a great bang for your buck. For anyone looking for a semi auto blowback this is defiantly a contender to the Alpha black and other cheap Tippmanns.
These will accept 90% of spyder Egrips if greater rates of fire is your thing. I only sampled this marker in semi auto with the stock grip so I cannot comment on its performance in the high BPS.

I give it an earned 7/10 based on my categories. If you have any comments, questions, or concerns with my review email me at Travis@hitmanpaintball.ca


Rating:
7 out of 10

5 comments:

  1. Hello Travis,
    I am Tom. Your movie review is truely awesome. I like the full auto sound. I have the full stock verson. I love to upgrade it with an e-grip, but not sure what kind of e-grip (e-mr1,mr2, "spyder egrip"-Ebay"..) will fit this marker. And I am not sure what to do/how to disassemble/modify to fit the E-grip on. I am a techy blind person, please help me. Please shed light onto my darkness.
    my email: yourwoodelf@hotmail.com
    Thank you so much
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just also wonder how could I access to the part where I can I adjust the velocity? Please help me with this, i am a newbee.

    thanks again
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take the two pins holding stock in place off n u will see velocity adjustment screw.

      Delete
  3. Your blogs stuff is purely enough for me personally.tippmann gryphon paintball kit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a great idea in the post! What a concept! And beautiful theme that’s Amazing …
    airsoft guns

    ReplyDelete